40 Bodies Pulled from Nile After Military Crack Down In Sudan
Reports are emerging from Sudan that forty bodies have been pulled from the River nile following a military crackdown on pro-democracy protests.
Doctors from the opposition group have stated that the bodies were among 100 people that were killed by security forces on Monday.
Many have been horrified by reports of attacks on civilians carried out by paramilitary groups linked to the Transitional Military Council.
Rapid Support Forces (RSF) are apparently roaming the streets, causing fear amongst Khartoum’s residents.
On Wednesday the head of Sudan's military council, General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, apologised for the loss of life and called for resumed negotiations - reversing a statement the previous day in which he said dialogue was over. The military council officially offered an unconditional resumption of talks.
But a Sudanese alliance of protestors and opposition groups rejected the invitation. One of its leading members said the military council could not be trusted.
Demonstrators had been occupying the square in front of the military headquarters since 6 April, days before President Omar al-Bashir was overthrown after 30 years in power. Representatives had been negotiating with the Military Council and it was agreed that elections would be held in nine months – however on Monday force swept in an opened fire on unarmed protestors in the square.