Monday 18th December 2017

I’m still PF, says Kambwili

EXPELLED PF central committee member Chishimba Kambwili says he is a threat to the PF sole candidacy in 2021 and has declared that he still remains part of the ruling party.

The former information minister and Roan member of parliament was earlier in the day scheduled to hold a widely publicized press briefing which came after his expulsion but cancelled it at the last meeting due to “security concerns”.

And later in the day, Kambwili posted on his Facebook page announcing that he would be the guest during Muvi TV’s The Assignment program.

But he however informed the television station that he would not make it due to security reasons and opted to have the interview  via phone.

During the phone interview, Kambwili reiterated that he had been expelled by a Kangaroo court in the name of the PF central committee but insisted that he was still a member of the ruling party.

He also said he would challenge the expulsion in court to defend the PF from what he called “infiltrators”.

“My preoccupation is to work for the people of Roan and work for the people of Zambia and not talk about standing in 2021 but it appears some people’s preoccupation is just to stand in 2021 and anybody whom they perceive to be standing in their way has to be kicked out. And there was even a resolution that somebody has to be a sole candidate for 2021, that is not democracy and I will not sell my principle for the purpose of appeasing an individual but I will give more details when I appear on the program. Today we were supposed to have a press briefing at my home [but] we were reliably informed that some PF cadres were being loaded on buses in Inter City to come and disrupt the press briefing and to prevent that, I cancelled so that we do not put the lives of journalists and the people who were supposed to attend the press briefing at risk,”

said Kambwili who recently warned against sole candidacy because Michael Sata was equally endorsed but died before 2016.

“So when we appear on Sunday, I will give a full account of what transpired and I will leave it to the people of Zambia to decide and I am going to fight in court for my membership because I love this party and I will not allow new comers to destroy the party that we have suffered for just for the purpose of somebody being a sole candidate for 2021 presidential elections.”

And Kambwili, who recently said he should not be underrated as he could contest the PF presidency in 2020, said he would challenge his expulsion in court.

He complained that infiltrators were reaping the benefits of hard work and suffering by long serving members of the party.

“I love this party dearly and I would want to defend this party and see it united the way our founder Michael Chilufya Sata left it. But some few people are bent on destroying the party for personal gain and I think members of the party and I think members of the party would not accept these people to destroy the party. The party has been infiltrated. The old members who suffered for the party have been thrown out of the party in preference for people who have come now. We fought to remove MMD for 10 years. If I knew that I was fighting for ten years to go to prison and whatever happened to us in the bush, we slept in the bush, for the people who were in government at that time to be ministers again, I was not going to waste my time. We will talk more when I appear on the program,”

said Kambwili who has been expelled together with former Chimwemwe member of parliament Mwenya Musenge, also a member of the central committee.

The expulsion of Kambwili and Musenge is expected to split the PF on the Copperbelt as the two leaders were viewed as strong mobilisers for the ruling party.

COMMENTS Connect with Open Zambia and have your say